A safe, just, and sustainable world in which protecting the environment and human rights is central to corporate decision making.
To promote environmental and social corporate responsibility through shareholder advocacy, coalition building, and innovative legal strategies.
To support our commitment to environmental and social justice, As You Sow's staff and board have adopted the following pledge:
As stewards of the environment, we recognize our responsibility to people and the planet. We commit to utilizing the concepts, tools, and practices that lead to environmental and social improvement in both our work place and in our daily lives.
In an effort to fulfill this goal, we commit to:
- Energy Conservation - As You Sow works with corporations to examine product lifecycles and reduce energy consumption during production. In light of the environmental and financial damage that traditional energy production has caused, we commit to reducing our personal energy consumption and supporting clean and renewable energy sources.
- Water Conservation - As You Sow works with a variety of industries to disclose, reduce and eventually eliminate toxics from entering the water supply. Not only do we strive to protect our water sources from toxic contamination but in order to ensure clean, potable water for future generations, we commit to being thoughtful in reducing our own water consumption.
- Pollution Prevention - At the core of our work, As You Sow believes that people have a right to a reduced exposure to toxins and as such we work to reduce pollution through Prop 65 litigation, industry dialogue, and greenhouse gas reduction campaigns. Accordingly, we have created a workspace that will simultaneously reduce exposure to and output of pollutants.
- Waste Reduction - As You Sow works with beverage and electronic companies to increase rates of recovery and recycling. Within the office we commit to using less single-use packaging and paper, and instead using reclaimed materials as much as possible with the goal of being a zero-waste office.
- Responsible Sourcing - As You Sow moves companies towards responsible sourcing down to the raw material level, with attention to both environment and labor issues. Within the office we purchase products from environmentally and socially sustainable companies, and whenever possible, seek to purchase used or recycled goods.
- Community Education and Engagement - Through presentations and publishing, As You Sow educates the investor industry and consumer communities on social responsibility and environmental stewardship. Within our office, we commit to being spokespeople on issues of toxics reduction, environmental health and safety, waste reduction, and human rights.
We all pledge to incorporate the above concepts and practices to further our organizational mission of creating a safe, just, and sustainable world.