In its consideration of grant requests, As You Sow will give priority to proposals in the following areas:
- Enforcement of California state consumer- and environment-related laws
- Education of consumers about the risks of toxic exposure and their right to know what goes into consumer products.
- Toxics education, reduction, and protection in under-represented and under-served communities.
- Related areas will be considered on a case-by-case basis but the proposal must generally have a California-based environmental enforcement component.
We are no longer accepting proposals for 2018. The next application period will begin January 1, 2019.
As You Sow’s grantmaking program is funded by settlements from our enforcement of California’s Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act (Proposition 65). Accordingly, grantees’ project must substantially benefit citizens of California. As You Sow will give consideration to proposals from organizations outside the state if the project or organization is focused on California.
As You Sow is a small foundation with limited resources. Grants are generally in the range of $1,000-$10,000.
Please provide the following information in applying for a grant from As You Sow. Total submission should not exceed 3 pages (not including the IRS letter).
- Executive Summary (250 words)
- State the problem being addressed by your group, the amount of funding sought and whether you have a specific project seeking support or seek general organizational support.
- Grant Request (1.5 pages or less)
- Briefly describe the organization’s mission, goals and objectives, and record of achievement.
- Describe who will benefit from your services.
- Describe the project for which support is sought, including a plan of execution, time frame, and intended impact.
- How do you plan to measure the success of the project?
- What other organizations provide your services? Is your work complementary? Can you or are you coordinating with them to avoid duplication of effort?
- What other committed funding sources do you have?
- Provide brief biographical information of key staff members. (half page)
- Organization’s approved annual budget and line item budget of expenses and revenues for the proposed project
- Copy of organization’s (or fiscal sponsor’s) exemption letter from the IRS