Communications Intern - Responsible Sourcing Network
ABOUT RESPONSIBLE SOURCING NETWORK
Responsible Sourcing Network (RSN), a project of the non-profit organization As You Sow, champions human rights with vulnerable communities involved in the harvesting and mining of raw materials found in products we use every day. RSN builds responsible supply chain coalitions of diverse stakeholders including investors, companies, and human rights advocates. Currently, RSN works with stakeholders to leverage their influence in the areas of conflict minerals from Africa and forced labor in cotton production in Central Asia to create positive change for brands, consumers, and the impacted communities.
RSN is seeking a Communications Intern to assist in supporting the work of the Cotton and Minerals Programs. Main assistance will be with supporting RSN’s website, www.sourcingnetwork.org, which is on SquareSpace 7.0, and to assist with updating and expanding RSN’s social media presence. In addition, social media and database projects may include but not be limited to drafting blog posts and website content, populating media contacts in our database, updating and increasing traffic to our Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn accounts, assisting with mini video projects, and researching related stories on corporate activities.
· Assist with updating and maintaining the RSN website and social networking sites
· Increase the traffic with RSN’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Linkedin accounts
· Create a consistent brand message throughout all of RSN’s collateral
· Assist with determining strategies for Instagram, Snapchat, and other newer platforms
· Research news to post messages on Facebook, Twitter, etc.
· Populate RSN media and photo library databases
· Assist with the development of fundraising and communications materials
· Monitor and record news alerts and RSN’s press coverage
· Populate a database to track journalists interested in RSN’s work
· Support program staff with basic organizational and research tasks
· Be proficient in HTML and CSS (preferred but not mandatory), and ideally have experience working with SquareSpace
· Be a recent graduate, pursuing a graduate degree, or an advanced undergraduate (junior or senior) degree in communications, public relations, marketing, or related field
· Be facile in internet research
· Have excellent research, analysis, writing, and communication skills
· Be able to prioritize tasks and work independently
· Have strong organizational and time management skills, with excellent attention to detail a must
· Be self-motivated, have a strong work ethic, and committed to excellence
· Be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
· Interest in human rights, labor rights, social issues, and new media
· Interest in corporate responsibility and passionate about making change in the world
We are looking for spring and summer interns, with a priority for summer interns. Minimum 20 hours per week (30 or 40 hours welcomed); 3-month commitment; $200/month travel stipend and/or school credit where available. We are flexible about the start and end dates. Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis. This posting will be removed once the position is filled.
The position will initially be on-site at the Responsible Sourcing Network/As You Sow offices in downtown Oakland, California with the eventual opportunity to work part of the time virtually.
We encourage all applicants to review our website www.sourcingnetwork.org before applying.
Send your resume and a cover letter describing why you are interested in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “RSN Communications Intern” in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.